Week 2 – Assignment
Skills Inventory and Gap Analysis
Note: I have my own business!!
[WLO: 2] [CLOs: 3, 4, 5, 6]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapter 4, Chapter 5, Chapter 6, Chapter 18, and Chapter 19 from your textbook; the Week 2 Weekly Lecture; Making PowerPoint Slides: Avoiding the Pitfalls of Bad Slides PowerPoint presentation; the article The Challenge of Exceptional Communication; and the web page Self Assessment: Learn About Your Personality and Strengths (Links to an external site.).
In preparation for the Final Paper as well as having real-world applicability, this week’s assignment is a PowerPoint presentation that will provide you an opportunity to create a career skills inventory and associated gap analysis. Using the article The Challenge of Exceptional Communication as a guide, the goal for this assignment is to professionally present your current skills and identifiable gaps in existing skills to promote yourself as an ideal candidate for the career of your choice. The information derived from this assignment should accurately reflect your existing skills.
In your presentation,
- Describe the skills you possess that make you an ideal candidate for your chosen career.
- Identify any gaps in your existing skill set that an employer may require.
- Explain how you plan on honing these gaps in your existing skill set.
- Explain how you would effectively and persuasively communicate this gap in a manner that would still qualify you for your career choice.
The Making PowerPoint Slides: Avoiding the Pitfalls of Bad Slides PowerPoint is a good resource to use for tips and guidelines for creating an effective PowerPoint presentation.
The Skills Inventory and Gap Analysis presentation
- Must be five to six slides in length (not including title and references slides), formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s How to Make a PowerPoint Presentation (Links to an external site.) resource, and include substantial speaker notes (no less than 100 words per slide).
- Must include a separate title slide with the following:
- Title of presentation
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must use at least two scholarly or credible sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view this Ashford University Library Quick ‘n’ Dirty (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which introduces the Ashford University Library and the research process, and provides some library search tips.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
Must include a separate references slide that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.