The case name: The Movie Exhibition Industry 2013
Additionally, there is a case analysis requirement. Writing skills, following the APA format, will be emphasized.
The case analysis is, of course, a strategic level analysis. Your analysis should include a proposed Case Abstract Vision Statement, the actual and proposed Mission Statement, and an External Audit, listing opportunities and threats, and applying appropriate strategic tools from the Hitt, Ireland & Hoskisson text (see Preparing an Effective Case Analysis, preceding the cases, in the Hitt, Ireland & Hoskisson text). Additionally, execute an Internal Audit, again listing opportunities and threats, a Financial Ratio Analysis, and, again, applying appropriate strategic tools from the Hitt, Ireland & Hoskisson text. More information will be provided as the course progresses. You are expected to be proactive in this course.
The case analysis should be between 10-15 double-spaced pages in MS Word and in the .doc format, excluding charts, tables and diagrams, and should include the cover sheet at the end of this document. The cover sheet should be copied into the front of your final document and completed electronically.
NB: If you are employed in an industry similar to any of the cases, you may be able to draw on your work experience to add quality/perspective to the analysis.
Case Analysis Requirements:
You will develop a strategic analysis of the company/case selected to demonstrate the concepts of strategic planning and strategic posture. Your analysis should not repeat the material in your selected case. The instructor has read the cases. Simply use the case information as foundational material to your analysis. The objective of this strategic decision-making project is to demonstrate your knowledge, skills, and abilities for identifying, analyzing, evaluating, and proposing an action plan and set of recommendations for a strategic decision-making issue(s). Specifically, the analysis should demonstrate the following:
– Your ability to identify all of the pertinent strategic issues by providing a sharply focused diagnosis of the strategic issues with the existing situation.
– Your knowledge, skills, and abilities to analyze and evaluate the strengths, weakness, opportunities, and threats, are a critical requirement for this project.
Furthermore, you must ensure your project fully addresses all of the following five criteria:
1. The utilization of strategic management concepts from the Hitt, Ireland & Hoskisson textbook, and classroom discussions is mandatory regardless of the case you choose. The purpose of this requirement is to demonstrate your comprehension of the strategic decision-making process.
2. Your analysis must be both reasonable and objective. Do not submit a one-sided argument that omits any likely evidence which conflicts with your evaluation. Do not be biased by your personal knowledge or emotions. Instead, concentrate on offering a balanced analysis and evaluation of the issues. Phrases such as, “I think,” “I feel,” and “I believe,” have no application to analysis and must be avoided.
3. Remember, for your case analysis, you should only use the data/information supplied for the case. Cases are snapshots of organizations at a particular instant in time.
The case analysis should include:
1. a short vision statement;
2. a strategic assessment of the case selected
3. a description of the current strategic posture and processes of the organization, with consideration of alternative scenarios and associated risks.
Case analysis papers, again, should be between 10-15 double-spaced pages in MS Word in the .doc format and, again, should include a cover sheet. The cover sheet template is at the end of this document.