A Case of Sunburn
On the first day after arriving in Miami for spring break vacation, Matt plays out in the sun for six hours. Later that night he notices that the skin on his legs and arms becomes red, swollen and extremely painful. By morning all of the afflicted areas have developed numerous blisters. These areas cover about 30% of his trunk (front and back) and 40% of the arms and legs.
- What organ has been damaged? What general types of tissue have been afflicted?
- What type of burn has Matt received? Explain.
- List ALL layers of the skin that have been damaged.
- What tissue repair process causes the blistering?
- List all of the body functions that may be disrupted by such a burn.
After a few days his skin peels and the burned areas begin to heal. Matt notices that the healing areas are more susceptible to injuries due to chafing or trauma. During the next week after Matt returns to Tampa, Maria tells him that a sunburn prepares his skin for a deep tan. Maria encourages him to quickly begin tanning sessions at a local tanning salon before the effects of the burn wear off.
- What has happened to the skin that would cause this increased susceptibility?
- What would you advise him to do? Why?
- Is a deep tan a sign of skin that is healthy or severely stressed? Explain.
All reports will be worth 4% of your grade and will be 5 points each. In order to successfully earn all 5 points you will need to:
1. Answer all questions thoroughly and completely.
2. Use at LEAST 3 different references (can include information from the Primal website as a source). The references needs to be listed in a “Works Cited” section at the end of the report. Please note: Wikipedia does not count as a reference.
3. Give credit to all sources used- citing correctly and PARAPHRASING any information taken from an outside source. Please do not copy and paste any information, even if you cite the source. Your report will be submitted through Turnitin and will allow us to see what sources were used and the exact information you took from that source- BE CAREFUL!
4. Must have a minimum of 500 words and can be in essay form OR question and answer form. (500 words not including the topic/questions given)
5. Must be turned in at 11.59 PM on the date it is due. PLEASE avoid turning in your report close to the 11.59 PM deadline. There have been many issues with submissions in the past due to high volume of students submitting at the same time. Late assignments will be deducted 2.5 points.